Excellent progress on Page Park cafe
Published on: 31 Mar 2017
WORK on a new cafe and community building in Page Park is steaming ahead, meaning the much-wanted facility is on track to open this summer.
Builders have wasted no time getting to grips with construction of the building and it is expected to open its doors in July.
The building has been made possible thanks to a £1.6 million lottery grant and additional funding secured by the Friends of Page Park, which will also pay for other improvements in the park, including planting schemes, new paths and the restoration of the landmark clocktower.
Steph Purser, vice chair of Page Park, said: "The construction work is going well, all on time with the cafe due to open in July.
"It is a fantastic building. Customers will be able to view the park behind floor to ceiling windows and on warm days enjoy their lattes on the patio surrounded by the flowers and plants in the sensory garden.
"The clocktower should be completed by the end of April and work is continuing on the restoration of the tennis clubhouse.
"It amazing to see all that is going on in our beautiful park."
At the the end of February, 32 volunteers planted green beech hedging around the adventure play area and in March 33 new trees were planted to replace some of the damaged and diseased trees.
A junior park run for four to 14-year-olds has recently been approved and will launch in July, taking place every Sunday at 9am.
The Friends of Page Park is a group of residents who are involved with running all aspects of the park including events, fundraising, gardening as well as playing a leading role working with the council to plan future developments at the open space.
To find out how you can get involved, follow the group on Facebook, visit the website www.friendsofpagepark.co.uk or sign up for regular news updates by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Park dates for your diary
• Sunday May 14 Salvation Army band and choir concert
• Sunday June 4 The Big Lunch, a community party in the park including children’s rides and entertainment
• Saturday June 24 Armed Forces Day, a chance show your support for the men and women who make up the Armed Forces community
• Sunday June 11 Salvation Army band and choir concert
• Sunday July 2 Westerly Winds concert
• Sunday July 9 Salvation Army band and choir concert
• Sunday August 13 Salvation Army band and choir concert
• Sunday September 10 Salvation Army band and choir concert