Bristol Animal Rescue Centre – the full history

February 01 2018

1886 Edward T Parker finds a puppy in a Bristol snowstorm and realised there was nowhere it could be cared for

1886 Edward T Parker finds a puppy in a Bristol snowstorm and realised there was nowhere it could be cared for

February 1887 A public meeting agrees to set up a dogs home “without delay”

December 1887 The Bristol Home for Lost and Starving Dogs opens on Waterloo Street, Clifton

1895 The Home outgrows the Clifton site, which had only had six kennels

1901 The home moves to its current site on Albert Road

1907 Opening of a new, heated  infirmary for sick dogs

1914-1918 During the First World War, the home boarded dogs free of charge for Bristol soldiers on active service

1920 Cat boarding quarters and a cat infirmary are built. The clinic also started offering free treatment for those who couldn’t afford to pay, at a set time each day

1939-1945 Being near Temple Meads, a prime target for bombers, the home suffered some air raid damage which fortunately was not too extensive

1954 The home became administered by the RSPCA Bristol & District Branch – though it remained autonomous with separate funds. It become known as the RSPCA Bristol and District Branch and Bristol Dogs and Cats Home

1988 The biggest extension to date included two new kennel blocks and a new cattery

1995 A major legacy from Mrs Louise Wall funded the opening of the modern animal clinic

2014 The exotics unit opens to look after reptiles ranging from snakes to bearded dragons. Bristol was one of the first RSPCA branches to take note of the plight of these animals

2015 The RSPCA charity shop on East Street in Bedminster opens – it plays a key role in bringing in income

2018 Bristol ARC becomes the new working name for the RSPCA Bristol & District Branch.