Campaigners are loud and clear: Say No to McDonald's

March 03 2017

THE campaign against a proposed McDonald's drive-through in Fishponds Road is being stepped up this month as residents prepare for the long-awaited public inquiry.

THE campaign against a proposed McDonald's drive-through in Fishponds Road is being stepped up this month as residents prepare for the long-awaited public inquiry.

About 80 people turned out for a meeting on February 25 to find out how locals intend to make sure their opposition to a 165-seater two-storey restaurant at the Bristol Tile Warehouse  site is heard.

Mike Jempson and Peter Tickner, from the Say No to McDonald's in Fishponds (NoMacinF) team outlined the objections, which centre on the negative impact the development would have on traffic, air quality and health.

Mr Jempson explained how McDonald's had put forward the scheme two years ago but it had been turned down in November 2015 after Bristol city councillors heeded the concerns of people living in the area.

Six months later, McDonald's announced it was appealing against the refusal of planning permission. An inquiry was opened in November but had to be adjourned because the MCdonald's barrister was taken ill.

The six-day appeal will now be heard at City Hall from April 20.  Mr Jempson and Mr Tickner will present the NoMacin F case but they told the meeting that anyone who turned up on the first day of the inquiry could ask to speak.

Organisers of the meeting, which was also attended by Bristol East MP Kerry McCarthy and ward councillors Mhairi Threlfall and Sultan Khan, said they were pleased at the turnout and the new ideas and support put forward.

 It was agreed to launch a high-profile publicity campaign and a march to highlight the objections to the drive-through plan for the built-up area.

Letters: Page 33