Crusaders' history in spotlight

November 03 2017

A NEW book chronicling one of the oldest rugby clubs in Bristol has been released to coincide with an exciting new phase in the club's history.

A NEW book chronicling one of the oldest rugby clubs in Bristol has been released to coincide with an exciting new phase in the club's history.

Written by historian Ian Haddrell, The History of Dings Crusaders Rugby Club, traces the club's roots back to 1897 when Herbert William Rudge founded the club in St Philip's as part of the Dings Boys Club.

The Dings was a notorious slum area between Barton Hill and Temple Meads, where a Christian mission, called the Shaftesbury Crusade, was active, encouraging young people there to take part in sport.

The 128-page book tells the story of how the rugby club grew from those humble beginnings to competing in the fourth tier of English rugby. 

The club moved from St Philip's to Landseer Avenue, Lockleaze in 1948. The book's publication coincides with a further move for Dings Crusaders to a new home in Shaftesbury Park, Frenchay,  

The History of Dings Crusaders Rugby Club is available on Amazon, £14.99.