Flat blaze started by cigarette

August 03 2018

A fire in a second-floor Stapleton flat was caused by a discarded cigarette, firefighters say.

Three Avon Fire and Rescue Service fire crews were called to Foxglove Close shortly before 9pm on Thursday, July 25, after a neighbour smelt burning.

They found a fire on the balcony of the second-floor flat, which they tackled with a hose after using a triple extension ladder to reach the balcony.

Afterwards firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to search for any remaining hotspots.

A fire service spokesperson said that the blaze was believed to have started accidentally, by “smoking materials”.