IKEA fined after engineer loses fingers
IKEA has been fined £100,000 after an engineer at its Eastville store lost parts of two fingers whilst working on a faulty fan.
The Swedish furniture company was taken to court by Bristol City Council following an investigation into breaches of health and safety laws.
The council found that the fan and eight others on the roof were not guarded, there was no adequate risk assessment in place for fault-finding or maintenance work, and the engineer had received no health and safety training from Ikea.
The company pleaded guilty to one offence under the Health and Safety at Work Act and was fined £100,000 and ordered to pay costs of £6,407.
The case was brought after an incident in November 2016 when a maintenance engineer suffered amputation of parts of two fingers while checking a fault to a fan on the roof of the building.
During the investigation, the council’s health and safety inspectors served an improvement notice requiring safety precautions to be put in place to prevent injury from fans and other machinery. These have since been carried out.
Senior managers from Ikea were in court and a letter from a board member was read out, which expressed remorse for the incident and said that lessons taken from this case had been shared throughout their business.
Kye Dudd, the council's cabinet member for energy, waste and regulatory services, said: "The health and safety of employees should be a top priority for every employer. We take reports of breaches very seriously and where appropriate we will investigate claims of poor practice."
To request advice or information or to make a complaint about conditions in workplaces, call the council 0117 922 2500 or e-mail officers at firstname.lastname@example.org