Local pubs protected

February 01 2018

EASTVILLE'S Queen's Head is among eight historic Bristol pubs which have been given extra protection under planning policy intended to safeguard the city’s cultural and architectural heritage.

EASTVILLE'S Queen's Head is among eight historic Bristol pubs which have been given extra protection under planning policy intended to safeguard the city’s cultural and architectural heritage.

Bristol City Council has published the latest additions to the city’s 'Local List' of valued buildings. The register recognises buildings and monuments not already listed to preserve their quality, style or historical importance.

This year’s list, which focused on the contribution of public houses to the historic Bristol environment, includes The Three Crowns in St George, which closed in October and has been the focus for a community campaign to reopen it.

The Merchants Arms in Stapleton is also included, giving  hope to campaigners who are trying to prevent its redevelopment. 

Entries for the list were nominated by members of the public and assessed by an independent panel. They will now be given more protection under local planning policy.

Other pubs on the list are The George in Shirehampton and the Highbury Vaults on Cotham Hill. The list also highlights less familiar venues; The Avonmouth Tavern, designed by eccentric architect Frederick Bligh Bond, who once owned a pet lemur, and the Cambridge Arms on Coldharbour Road with its exuberant signage.

Coouncillor Nicola Beech, Cabinet Member for Spatial Planning and City Design, said: “Pub closures is an issue across Bristol. Pubs are an established feature of many communities and are often architecturally distinctive, or historically important in their own right. This year’s local list has focused on pubs as an at-risk building type and responds to many calls from the public to protect treasured local landmarks. This is a celebration of some of the city’s most interesting examples.”

The Three Crowns dates to the Reign of William IV, but the assessment panel noted that its Edwardian frontage and well preserved bar interiors were important features to protect.

Two buildings were included that might not initially appear historic but were considered to represent some of the best of post-war development in the city. The Giant Goram pub built in Lawrence Weston in 1958, and the four quarters of the Broadmead hub, established in 1950, were both listed.

Cllr Beech added: “Some people still remember these buildings going up. Although most people do not give them a second look, they represent the optimism and confidence of the era in which they were built, and are architecturally distinctive. Hopefully the new designations will help people see them in a new light and recognise the contribution they make to the Bristol’s story.” 

The hub in Broadmead was central to Bristol’s reconstruction plans after the war. First conceived in 1946 by city architect J. N. Meredith, it was built between 1950 and 1956. The four quarters were completed to a unified modern design that echoed classical temple fronts and the Georgian circuses of Bath. Work has started recently on altering the north-east pavilion. The buildings and the public space they enclose have been the backdrop to the lives of many Bristolians.