Tesco machete attackers jailed
TWO brothers who launched a “cowardly and brutal” machete attack in the middle of Tesco at Eastville have been jailed.
Razwan Hussain, 34, and his 36-year-old brother Naveed attacked two men in front of shoppers on a Friday afternoon.
Investigating officer DC Dominic Landragin said the machete attack followed a scuffle in the store involving Naveed Hussain and one of the victims.
DC Landragin said Naveed Hussain phoned his brother for help. Razwan Hussain then sped to the store in his Mini, driving the wrong way through the c one-way system before arriving at the store armed with the machete.
“One of the victims was attacked just outside the foyer, while the second victim was pursued through the store and then struck with the weapon,” said DC Landragin.
Both victims, a 44-year-old and a 21-year-old man, were left with serious injuries after the attack on August 31 last year.
The brothers escaped from the scene but were later arrested after a search and appeals.
Razwan Hussain, of St Mark’s Road, Easton, was jailed for ten and a half years after admitting charges of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and attempted GBH with intent. Naveed Hussain, of the same address, was jailed for two years after admitting charges of GBH and affray.
Following the sentencing, Avon and Somerset Chief Constable Andy Marsh praised the bravery of members of the public who rushed to the aid of the two victims, the actions of Tesco staff in evacuating the store and the professionalism of officers on the scene.
“This was a cowardly and brutal attack. It's shocking.
"The use of such a barbaric weapon in such close vicinity to so many innocent members of the public is horrifying and I’m sure these events will have a lasting impact on those who were unfortunate enough to witness it.”